Janda Baik

27 May, 2008

Janda Baik (literally means good widow) is a village situated near the more popular Genting Highlands and about one hour drive from Kuala Lumpur. The place is cool and quiet. A lot of tourist mostly local came here for their vacation. Taking advantage of these, the kampung people starts to operates chalets that is mushrooming everywhere. We reach Janda Baik in the evening at about 6.00pm. Our search for accomodation begins. Our first few stop found it to be full. The sky is getting dark and we need to find a place for the night fast. The river water level seems to be on the rise as it is raining for quite sometime.At the end about 7.00pm we managed to find a secluded site called Teratak Pak Lah.


Teratak Pak Lah
No, the place does not belong to Pak Lah our Prime Minister. The owner is a pensioner; he bought the land quite some time ago and build two small hut with a public toilet and electricity. So it’s a no frill accommodation for RM40 per night. So we choose a hut that is situated in front of a stream. Before we can settle down, Pak Lah has requested my help to find the solution for his problematic power supply to the hut. I manage to find the problem with the electrical plug and gave him a temporary solution and promised him to fix it in the morning. After shower, Era and Ija has cooked our favorite dishes that are Gulai Tempoyak and Petai Goreng.
Fishing
In the morning, after breakfast, I have taken out my fishing rods to fish. Digging in the ground near the banana tree, I have managed to find a few earthworms. In the midst of finding the worm, I saw a man who looks like a technician (his holding a cable with a bulb) going to Pak Lah house, most probably to sort out yesterday problem. Alas my service is not needed, so I went on with the fishing. At first when I started out, I couldn’t catch any, as my hook is to big compare with the fish in the river. After changing the hook, we finally able to land a dozen small fish called ikan tengas. It is hard to fish with Ija and Era as I have to put on the bait for them. I am sure that they can't bear the very sight of earthworm’s dangling body being punch through the hook. Anyway, they did manage to catch a few fish.
BBQ
For lunch we are having a barbeque. The menu fishs, petai, sardines, sweet potatoes and anything left of our ration. While enjoying the scenery, I did find time to chat with Pak Lah and did get more information about the place. Pak Lah even gave me some Bunga Kantan and Serai Wangi as a parting gift.
Conclude
It is a nice place for a picnic and has a very relaxing environment. You can fish here too.

3 comments:

PuraPura said...

OMG you guys are so brave. I would never be able to do that (I hate camping)thats so awesome i wish i could do half the stuff you do.

Anonymous said...

ada sape2 nk p sini? u all byr i as tour guide...nak tak?

lullaby said...

wah korang ni excellent tough la... nak join sekaki bole? hu hu

suka ur style n i wish i have a perfect match like whut u guys have